This question was posted in a discussion in the Assessment forum area, [url]http://www.en-net.org.uk/question/215.aspx#lastpost[/url]. I am moving it to here as others may be interested and able to assist. Many thanks, Tamsin Actually can anyone help me out with this!! I am currently designing a locally made supplementary food for pregnant women in Bangladesh. I am using lentil powder, ground peanuts, milk powder, salt sugar and oil and would like to form a paste. My problem is that when following the WHO guidelines I can not get enough moisture (oil) in there without going way above the % of fat. I do not want to advise the mixing with water due to clean water not always being available. Has anyone done anything similar? If so can you tell me your ingredients and the proportions to form a paste. If not, I will need to trial with biscuits. Cheers
From Geoff Douglas: I do not have an answer to the question, but I do have a comment. The writer states, " I do not want to advise the mixing with water due to clean water not always being available". I am certainly not advising the consumption of dirty water, but if that is all that is available, that is what is being consumed, irrespective of the writer's opinion on the subject. It would be equally inappropriate to say, "I do not want to advise pregnant women to take iron and folic acid supplements because they might use unclean water to swallow the pills." The clean water issue is much cited and it is extremely important, but it is not the crucial issue when designing a supplementary food. Best wishes Geoff Douglas
Tamsin Walters
Forum Moderator

Answered:

11 years ago
Geoff, I see your point, but actually clean water becomes more important when people are given a ready to use supplement. It has a high renal solute load and thus increases the need for water. Yet it typically is displacing a gruel or other traditional food that is high in (cooked and therefore safe) water.
Ted Greiner

Answered:

11 years ago
Please login to post an answer:
Login