In the current Horn of Africa crisis we are trying to intercept unsollicited and unmonitored distributions of BMS. However, the challenge is how to put them to use; a particular challenge for Somalia where direct access to the field is extremely limited. Does anyone have ideas/experiences on the alternative, yet appropriate (= in line with the Code and Operational Guidance) use of milk powder/infant formula; apart from mixing them throught the CSB for blanket/supplementary feeding distribution? Thank you!
Hi Astrid, any chance you can mix milk powder in porridges for patients in hospitals, in porridges for children in 'orphanages'/ places where unacconpanied minors are held for the moment, (elderly...but they may be lactase deficient in that area....). I know, access needs to be a condition. Good luck, Mija
Mija Ververs

Answered:

12 years ago
Hi Mija, thank you for your advice. We can definitely look into that. The problem is a lot of the milk comes in through Moga....where there is no access.
Astrid

Answered:

12 years ago
Astrid, I think that this is a problem to which a satisfactory solution has not yet been found. My understanding is that in the past ways of using donations has included things like mixing with porridge (which is very labour intensive) for older children or the elderly, for feeding animals or just storing it so it cannot do harm. It has seemed politically impossible to destroy donations. Do you mind if I ask how much milk is arriving and where it is coming from? Karleen
Karleen Gribble

Answered:

12 years ago
Dear Karleen, At the moment little to no milk has been intercepted. However, we are trying to scale up prevention, monitoring and reporting of code & ops guidance violations, and I would like to have a response plan ready so that the teams know what to do with it as soon as it is intercepted. Out of experience I also find that organisations are handing over milk(products) easier if they know what will be done with it and if they know it will serve a useful purpose. The hardest part is to find solutions for those areas where access is extremely reduced or near impossible, and supervision on the alternative use is therefore very difficult.
Astrid

Answered:

12 years ago
Please login to post an answer:
Login