Moringa is a nutritious tree grown in the tropics, sometimes called the ‘miracle tree’. Does anyone have any good programming examples that they can share with us at Save the Children, so we can learn more about how moringa has been used in programmes to prevent malnutrition? And does anyone have any know of any robust evidence on the nutritional impact of moringa at an individual or population level? We are looking for any data that exists that shows plausible links between consumption and improved nutritional indices in children and mothers (PLW) (e.g child weight / height, babies’ birth weight, micronutrient status). Thank you!
Moringa is most beneficial for medical treatments as for recovering from injuries and disease and those who suffer from certain muscular pains. It’s properties also helps to make moringa a safe and effective diuretic. [url=http://maxtransformation.com/]moringa[/url]
graemar-jack

Answered:

12 years ago
Hi all, I am interest to lear of any new updates on the same question posed by Victoria Sibon in 2011 on Moringa: "And does anyone have any know of any robust evidence on the nutritional impact of moringa at an individual or population level? We are looking for any data that exists that shows plausible links between consumption and improved nutritional indices in children and mothers (PLW) (e.g child weight / height, babies’ birth weight, micronutrient status)." Thank you.
Elham Monsesf

Answered:

10 years ago
*Moringa \per 100g* Ash ASUL 06.00-4(a)…………………...…… 8.9g Dry matter…………………………….……....91.8g Water…………………………………..……….8.7g Fiber…………………………………….……..22.3g Total protein…………………………………..27.3g Conversion factor total nitrogen To protein 6.25 Total fat………………………………………..…3.8g Carbohydrates………………………………….28.0g *Minerals* Copper………………………………..……………..0.6mg Iron………………………………………………….43.6mg Magnesium……………………….....……………..459mg Sodium……………………………..………………25.5mg Zinc…………………………………..………………2.2mg Phosphorus…………………………......………….367mg Potassium…………………………...…………….1448mg Calcium……………………………..……………..1338mg *Vitamins* Biotin………………………………...……………..29.5ug Folic acid……………………………....…………..780 ug Niacin (B3)……………………….......……………..11mg Vitamin B1………………………....……………..0.27mg Vitamin B2………………………......……………..2.3mg Vitamin B6………………………....……………..1.15mg Pantothenic acid (B5)…………..........………….2.15mg Vitamin C…………………………...….………….29.2mg Vitamin A…………………………..…………..8030.73ug Vitamin K1………………………………..………897.5ug Vitamin E……………………………………...........44mg *Amino acids* Arginine………………………………………….1325mg Histamine…………………………...……………613mg Lysine……………………………………………1325mg Tryptophan………………………....…………...1388mg Methionine…………………………......…………350mg Threonine……………………………...…………1188mg Leucine…………………………………………..1950mg This is whats in our moringa the nutrional analysis was done in Germany, i dont have a direct evidence or program but if you see the values and the fact that its 98% of the nutrients are bio available to the body. It will most sertainly have a great impact on a child eating it mixed with food.
Dimitry

Answered:

10 years ago
This is great, thank you Dimitry. Do you have a citation for this information?
Merry Fitzpatrick

Answered:

10 years ago
Hi, For my Public Health nutrition masters a few years ago I ran a controlled trial in 120 under 5's in a rural setting in Malawi. My dissertation looked at the acceptability of dried moringa leaf powder in likuni phala (maize porridge) but we did continue to run the trial for a year taking anthropometric data each month. I still have the date but it's not in a very user friendly format! (a paper that should have been written some time ago!) Please email me and I'm more than happy to share it with you. We also had some analysis of the leaf powder done in Cambridge, UK so we knew what was in the moringa. Feel free to email me lyndseymclellan@yahoo.co.uk - I'm currently based in Uganda.
Lyndsey McLellan

Answered:

10 years ago
This is a great thing, I just heard of it now. Would like to know more about its usage, processing etc. Thanks. T.
Tariq Khan

Answered:

10 years ago
Thanks Morninga World. The Nutritional value from USDA is different: http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/3021?fg=&man=&lfacet=&format=&count=&max=25&offset=&sort=&qlookup=moringa Protein is: 9.4 vs 27 carbohydrates is: 8.28 vs 28 would you know where the differences are coming from?
Elham Monsesf

Answered:

10 years ago

Tech RRT in collaboration with SMART, GNC, GNC-Technical Alliance (formerly GTAM), IPC, UNICEF and Save the Children invites you to a new webinar to support nutritional surveys in the context of COVID-19.

Join us on Thursday, October 29 (English with interpretation in French and Spanish) from 2:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. (Geneva time)

Please register here for more information.

With the declaration of COVID-19 as a pandemic in March 2020, global nutrition guidance quickly recommended a number of adaptations for nutrition information systems, including the suspension of opposite data collection activities. face to face.

This webinar aims to present the recently released SMART Guidance Sheet on Resuming Surveys, provide an example of adaptations of IYCF-E nutrition information in Colombia, and organize a roundtable on the implications for use of data in the context of COVID-19. Participants will also have time to ask questions.

-----

Tech RRT en colaboración con SMART, GNC, GNC-Alianza Técnica (antes GTAM), IPC, UNICEF y Save the Children invited him to a nuevo seminario web para apoyar las encuestas de nutrición en el contexto de COVID-19.

Acompáñenos el jueves 29 de octubre (in inglés con interpretación en francés y español) from 2:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. (hora de Ginebra).

Por favor, regístrese aquí para obtener más información.

Con la declaración de COVID-19 como pandemia en marzo de 2020, the Directives sobre Nutrición Mundial recomendaron quickly a series of adaptations para los sistemas de información sobre nutrición, including the suspension of the actividades de recopilación de datos car.

Este seminario web tiene por objeto presentar la orientación SMART recientemente publicada sobre la reanudación de los estudios, ofrecer un ejemplo de adaptaciones al información nutricional de ANJE-E en Colombia y proporcionar un debate de mesa redonda sobre las consecuencias para la datosación el contexto of COVID-19. También habrá tiempo para que los participants hagan preguntas.

Dimitry

Answered:

10 years ago
The difference between the two compositions look far too large to me to be explained by the farming method. I see that the composition given by Dimitry gives 92% of dry matter. We are talking about dry leaf extract, whereas presumably USDA gives the nutritional composition of fresh leaves. This may well explain the discrepancy. I saw many claims over the last 30 (+) years of different miracle foods, which never met expectations when tested with a rigorous protocol. No single food is a “miracle” food and is sufficient to cover all nutritional needs. Humans have many nutritional requirements and need a highly diversified diet, not just a single miracle food to cover them all. Moringa leaves are no exception and have a high level of Fe compared to Zn and will not be adequate to correct the Zn deficiency, which is most prevalent in poor countries, unless given with some other Zn rich foods. The claim that nutrients in Moringa leaves are 98% available need some solid reference. Does this refer as well to zinc ? iron ? calcium ?
André Briend
Technical Expert

Answered:

10 years ago
the nutrients are all in food state in the moringa and the body absobs them fully ofcource anything access will be passed out of the system. We are speaking of absorbtion in a healthy body... so untill the person slowly replenishes the missing mico nutrients the absorbtion will not be at 100% but once repletness has been reached the absorbtion will balance. the content of dry leaves and fresh leaves differs due to the curing prosses where the content of protein becomes higher if further fermentation is done lots of the values of other nutrients also increase.
Dimitry

Answered:

10 years ago
we did the nutrional analysis in Germany i have the original report from the lab.
Dimitry

Answered:

10 years ago
Have you guys heard of fulvic acid ... it can be used to make synthesised nutrients into a food state
Dimitry

Answered:

10 years ago

Good morning all

I am preparing a training of trainers in integrated management of acute malnutrition.

Is there anyone who can help me with the emergency nutrition train-the-trainer toolkit, especially the latest version please

Emmanuel

Eric S. Anderson

Answered:

10 years ago
there are few medical trails in regards to nurition conducted as we speak by few uneversities in South Africa, whene results are relised we can have a look at the bio availability and the moringa impact on a mal-nurished person.
Dimitry

Answered:

10 years ago
I'm not sure about a comparison with the data above but from the analysis we had done most of our nutrient results were higher than the Fuglie, 1999 data that I was comparing it with. From the other En-net user - Protein is: 9.4 vs 27 ours was 35.31 (UK) or 23.7 (Malawi)– we had it done twice because we didn't quite believe the first result. If I remember all but one of the essential amino acids was also present. carbohydrates is: 8.28 vs 28 - ours was 60(UK)/74.3(Malawi). This was sun dried leaf powder – we tended to only use the newer fresher leaves to reduce the bitter taste. Maybe that extra carbohydrate is sugars? I am very surprised how different these results are. I don't have a background in this so find it difficult to come to a conclusion other than to suggest before further work is done - this needs to be clarified. Our moringa was growing in Chikwawa, Malawi much of it was “wild” and been there a long time without anyone noticing it, so not sure farming technique would have played much of a role. As for the absorption question, I don't know. There is very little evidence and it is also very difficult to trial. I was working on (I think generally accepted premise?) natural nutrients are absorbed better than artificial ones which we were replacing? Correct me if I am wrong! As Andre says moringa is not (like any other product) the answer to malnutrition. The study I ran looked at the possibility of supplementing artificial supplements with a natural, easy to grow, cheap, local product. I developed 2 formulas containing different quantities of moringa to match the nutrient profile of the Likuni Phala. In order to maintain the protein content of the lower mix we had to include soya flour. Having just relooked at the formula I would suggest that maybe the protein could have been higher in the lower moringa mix. Apologise from my less experienced self! Eric – I worked with a Peace Corp volunteer in the village. She made sure the anthropometric measurements were taken correctly when I wasn't there. She was a great help. Thanks! What I don't really understand is why we are looking at dried moringa. Moringa is excellent used in a relish or in a salad. What should be happening is during nutrition education sessions etc tell people of the importance of including moringa in their diet. It is also very easy to grow. The easiest way is to pollard an existing tree (about 1m in length) and put it in the ground water in and watch it grow. I've seen villages in Chikwawa growing an eating loads of it. It's a green leafy vegetable and diversification of diet - where can we be going wrong?
Lyndsey McLellan

Answered:

10 years ago
Hi Lyndsey, Thanks for jumping into the discussion. It's been really interesting to follow. Just to clarify a bit, the bioavailability of nutrients doesn't necessarily depend on whether it is obtained through natural food sources or through artificial sources. Rather it depends on the form it takes. Leaves and beans are notorious for having compounds in them that inhibit the absorption of many of the good things we want from them. Folic acid (folate) and B-12 are common examples where the chemical form is generally more readily absorbed than most natural forms. On the other hand, iron, vitamin D and vitamin A from liver is very readily absorbed. What is eaten in combinations can also make a big difference in bioavailability. If the moringa is eaten with something acidic, like lemon juice, vinegar or tomatoes, this would probably help the body to absorb some of the mineral content, iron especially. Quality of protein makes a very big difference. Moringa could have loads and loads of protein, but if there are key amino acids in very small amounts and it is the only real source of protein, then the body will only be able to make use of a portion of the protein. The rest is inefficiently turned into fuel. So knowing the amino acid profile of the moringa would help us to know what to complement it with (should it be pulses? cereals?) in order to maximize the benefit of the moringa. With all these complications and things we just don't know, I very much like the idea of measuring the nutritional outcomes associated with moringa consumption in their normal diets. I think, as you noted, the important point is that we want to help people to have the most nutrient dense diet possible. If they are replacing lettuce with moringa or just diversifying their diet, like you said it would be hard to go wrong. Merry
Merry Fitzpatrick

Answered:

10 years ago
Please login to post an answer:
Login