Does anybody have any information or experience with providing SQ-LNS and MQ-LNS simultaneously? Where I am currently we are providing MQ-LNS in blanket distribution to all children aged 6-59 months and PLWs. Now there are other agencies also providing SQ-LNS in the same catchment areas to children (unsure of the age range). We are worried that this might cause harm as children might receive too much of certain micronutrients and have therefor not provided the MQ-LNS there, but we are also worried that this might cause that some children do not get anything, since total coverage is not possible and the food security and WASH situation is very dire. Your advice would be much appreciated. 

Hello Astrid,

The easy answer is, of course, to ensure coordination with other actors because the risk, given the uncertain coverage, is that some children might end up receiving nothing. 

However, as I recall, SQ-LNS is typically targeted for children aged 6-23 months and for a period of 12 months no? .

So, knowing the age group that who is receiving SQ-LNS could help you focus your targeting more precisely on your side.

Small suggestion... not easy depending of the context.

I haven’t found a study, but both supplements contain vitamin A, which carries a risk of toxicity. There is also the risk of too much iron, too much zinc, and an imbalance between calcium and vitamin D, plus the potential for interactions between micronutrients that could reduce the effectiveness and absorption of both supplements. 

In the end, they may not serve their intended purpose.

I think we have two countries in common, so don’t hesitate to reach out to me if you'd like to discuss this further.

Best

C.

Chantal Autotte Bouchard

Answered:

11 days ago
Please login to post an answer:
Login