Hi, 

Thanks indeed for the answers. 

I feel confused after reading one paper of wet nursing "A cross-sectional study on the practice of wet nursing among Muslim mothers" and cannot identify the actual definition of wet nursing. Should we call " wet nursed" as mother who got more than a couple of breast feeding experience to another child or " wet nursed" as mother who exclusively breastfeed to another child up to 6 months. 

Please also share any research paper and links related with KAP with wet nursing. 

Hello

I wanted to share with you the link to a slide deck and a recording of a webinat that the IFE Core Group and the GNC supported in April 2024.

In April we had the pleasure of hosting the Supporting Wet Nursing in Emergency Contexts webinar and were pleased to have so many of you participate.  For those of you who have not yet had the opportunity to access the recordings and slide deck of the webinar, you can find them all here: Supporting Wet Nursing in Emergency Contexts on the Global Nutrition Cluster Events page.

Hopefully you will find it useful. UNICEF will soon release a wet nursing guidance in emergencies, so please stay tune

Best 

Alex

Alex

Answered:

19 days ago

Hi.

Happy to see your interest in wetnursing.

Each researcher will have their own definition, depending on the situation or practice that they are describing.  Researchers should make their definition explicit, or, as you note, it can be confusing.  As Alex mentioned, the UNICEF wetnursing guidance will soon provide definition/s.

Meantime, you might be interested in some recent publications:

1. Facilitators and Barriers of Wet Nursing from Antiquity to the Present: A Narrative Review with Implications for Emergencies (see https://www.researchgate.net/publication/378998752_Facilitators_and_Barriers_of_Wet_Nursing_from_Antiquity_to_the_Present_A_Narrative_Review_with_Implications_for_Emergencies)

2. Facilitators And Barriers of Wet Nursing Across Different Cultures: A Qualitative Study (forthcoming)

Best.

bindi

Bindi Borg

Answered:

19 days ago

Hi there, 
I think that the answer to your question is that just one breastfeed by a woman other than an infant's mother is wet nursing. 
I wondered if your question was related to Islamic milk kinship though. When it comes to Islamic milk kinship though it is generally understood that a certain number of breastfeeds and sometimes also a certain quantity of milk is required to create the milk kinship relationship. These number of times can vary (I have seen as little as 2 times said and as many as 15 times). 

Karleen Gribble

Answered:

18 days ago
Please login to post an answer:
Login