In our context of intervention, we sometimes have to be creative with the product options we use to support maternal undernutrition based on what is available in the field. I have seen such programs using product which are initially suitable for malnourished under 5 children (e.g.: RUTF or RUSF). These products are quite rich in zinc and vitamin A and depending the quantity provided per day, we can reach quantity defined as upper limit.

• Do we ever documented vitamin A or Zinc intoxication because of the provision of fortified product in nutrition programs?
  • How much should we make sure to never go beyond upper limit for micronutrient when working on nutrition supplementation protocols? I focused on vitamin A and Zinc because the UL seemed to be the most easily reachable but I might overlook some other very important micronutrients. 
  • Is there any reliable reference site with upper limit references of micronutrients ? for the vitamin A I cross checked several sources and the value of 3000 µg RE seems to be the one to follow but regarding ZINC every source I have consulted gives me different values (from 25 mg upt to 40-50, in some even higher where we speak of toxicity level from an intake of 200mg/day). 

Thanks for your answer. 

In our context of intervention, we sometimes have to be creative with the product options we use to support maternal undernutrition based on what is available in the field. I have seen such programs using product which are initially suitable for malnourished under 5 children (e.g.: RUTF or RUSF). These products are quite rich in zinc and vitamin A and depending the quantity provided per day, we can reach quanrtity defined as upper limit.

• Do we ever documented vitamin A or Zinc intoxication because of the provision of fortified product in nutrition programs?
  • How much should we make sure to never go beyond upper limit for micronutrient when working on nutrition supplementation protocols? I focused on vitamin A and Zinc because the UL seemed to be the most easily reachable but I might overlook some other very important micronutrients. 
  • Is there any reliable reference site with upper limit references of micronutrients ? for the vitamin A I cross checked several sources and the value of 3000 µg RE seems to be the one to follow but regarding ZINC every source I have consulted gives me different values (from 25 mg upt to 40-50, in some even higher where we speak of toxicity level from an intake of 200mg/day). 

Thanks for your answer. 

Mario-David Barbagallo

Answered:

2 months ago
Please login to post an answer:
Login