I am currently working with ENN and the IFE-CG on the development of a glossary for IYCF-E terminology.

The aim is to standardize the language around IYCF-E since there are multiple terms used for the same thing in the IYCF-E sector which causes unnecessary confusion for practitioners and policymakers, particularly during the rapid onset of emergencies. This glossary will help standardize IYCF-E language in English and provide the basis to replicate this process into other languages (including French). 

I am reviewing existing IYCF-E glossaries or glossaries that contain definitions relevant to IYCF-E. In order to develop a comprehensive list of terms, your involvement and contributions are critical.

If you can please by June 4th, share with me the listing of the most common terms and words, as well as definitions of term and logic for using this term related to IYCF-E that you and your teams use. For example, there is currently concern with the terms breastfeeding versus lactation, and IYCF versus maternal, infant, and young child nutrition (MIYCN). Please provide an explanation as to why you use lactation versus BF for example.

Please email me your responses at caroline.abla@ennonline.net

Thanking you in advance for your time and effort.

Dear Caroline,

I find this ongoing work very interesting and especially relevant. I currently have an intern in nutrition, and it's true that he often gets lost in the different terms and ways of saying things. In fact, we recently had a team discussion on this topic (PLWs/PBWs) and came up with the following way to make the difference? I am wonder if there is another way to see it?:

"We believe that the correct general term is PLW, not PBW, which normally corresponds to Pediatric Body Weight and is less inclusive.

In summary, "breastfeeding" refers to the action of feeding a baby with breast milk directly from the breast, whereas "lactating" refers to the production of breast milk by the mammary glands of a woman who can feed any child. For this reason, we use "L" rather than "B"."

Best

Chantal

Chantal Autotte Bouchard

Answered:

3 months ago
Please login to post an answer:
Login