Does anyone have information on whether Ebola outbreaks have led to a decrease in breastfeeding rates for the general population in countries affected? For example, does anyone know whether breastfeeding practices were negatively impacted during or after an Ebola outbreak in communities near outbreaks, e.g. in DRC? (I am NOT referring to Ebola patients and their breastfeeding practices in Ebola Treatment Units, but to surrounding communities in the aftermath (and during the outbreak)). Papers, reports, raw data, anything is welcome, even impressions of well-informed health practitioners. Thanks so much, Mija

Dear Mija,

Not in the context of DRC but rather Guinea and Sierra Leone, we had done some qualitative work on the topic, maybe you find some useful info there: 

https://journals.plos.org/plosntds/article?id=10.1371/journal.pntd.0007645

https://academic.oup.com/heapol/article/34/2/83/5309026

Best, Fabian

Fabian Rohner

Answered:

6 months ago

Thanks so much, Fabian. I was indeed familiar with these 2 publications, which are very informative. One question on the first publication remains. You stated, 'In terms of ongoing behavior change still today, participants had mixed perceptions with some individuals indicating that behaviors “went back to normal” after Sierra Leone was declared EVD free and others indicating that exclusive breastfeeding and water, sanitation, and hygiene behaviors persist today.'

What did you mean exactly with the part marked in bold? Thanks, Mija

Note to all colleagues: I am still looking for data on changed breastfeeding behavior in the general population after/during an ebola outbreak, especially in DRC.

Mija Ververs

Answered:

6 months ago

Dear Mija, well that was quite some time ago, but I think we wanted to state there was no emerging pattern of agreement among respondents whether things around EBF and WASH went back to normal or whether alterered behaviors persisted. Hope this helps, Fabian

Fabian Rohner

Answered:

6 months ago
Please login to post an answer:
Login