Dear all,

I am looking for any advice or experience teams may have had using non-invasive haemaglobin testing devices in program settings. We are wanting to use such a device (in the absence of time, money, resources to take blood samples) to monitor changes in blood haemaglobin in response to a pilot intervention to improve dietary intake of iron. Any advice re. good/bad devices, limitations etc. would be very useful. 

Hi Hatty, we've tested two non-invasive HB devices in WV, Masimos RAD 67 and tec4life. I'll connect via email on this Hatty.

Colleen Emary

Answered:

1 year ago

Hello,

We have recently tested a non-invasive Hb meaasurement device and found the accuracy, precision, and sensitivity to be quite poor (publication forthcoming), and thus inadvisable for use in the field at this time. This article may be of interest to you: 

Young MF, Raines K, Jameel F, et al. Non-invasive hemoglobin measurement devices require refinement to match diagnostic performance with their high level of usability and acceptability. PLoS One. 2021;16(7):e0254629. Published 2021 Jul 16. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0254629 

Anonymous

Answered:

1 year ago

Hello All - I am very interested in this, is it possible to post information here? If not, please can someone email me with the info as well, anne.merewood@bmc.org

We are looking at Sanguina's AnemoCheck, but it can only be downloaded in the US as an App. However, it works in other countries once you've downloaded it.

Anne Merewood

Answered:

1 year ago

We did some work in high anemia prevalence setting in Tanzania using RAD-G. Here is an article on health workers' attitude to non-invasive and community’s perception.

https://www.ennonline.net/fex/61/haemoglobinmonitortanzania

We also did a prospective comparative study collecting invasive(hemocue) and RAD G but the data is not published yet.

Colleen Emary

Answered:

1 year ago
Please login to post an answer:
Login