I am new to ENN and the humanitarian sector, so please excuse me if this is common knowledge, but wondering if there is an updated version of (or planned update of) the 2004 UNHCR, UNICEF, WFP and WHO document "Food and Nutrition Needs in Emergencies"? Or have more recent publications replaced it as guidance? I continue to see it referenced, but assuming there are more recent guidance documents we should be using (other than the Sphere standards of course). 

Here is the link: https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/food-and-nutrition-needs-in-emergencies 

Thanks in advance!

As to my knowledge 2004 edition has not been updated! The best colleagues to answer this would be WFP/UNHCR/WHO/UNICEF nutrition colleagues in emergency. There may be more recent discussion on the needs in emergency in different forums. I was in HCR when this edition ws published- I believe the principles remain valid as listed in this edition. I did visit the WFP resource centre and yes the edition of 2004 is still used as one of the references. Sphere standards as mentioned also have a sction on planning rations etc. Thank you.

Rita Bhatia
Technical Expert

Answered:

1 year ago

Hello, Vanessa, from a fellow Canadian. :-)

I am not aware of plans to update that edition of "Food and Nutrition Needs in Emergencies" although there might be. I can speak specifically to the section on Infant and Young Child Feeding in Emergencies (IYCF-E) which references very old guidance, and although much of is still sound, some has been rescinded. The current Operational Guidance for IYCF-E is V3.0 (2017). Of particular concern, the HIV information in the doc  you have referenced has been updated significantly with this guidance: HIV and infant feeding in emergencies: operational guidance: the duration of breastfeeding and support from health services to improve feeding practices among mothers living with HIV (2018)  Other up-to-date guidance for IYCF-E can be found on our resources and outputs page. If you have questions beyond IYCF-E, colleagues here can point you in the right direction. 

-- Jodine Chase
IFE Core Group Facilitator

Jodine Chase

Answered:

1 year ago

Vanessa

As narraated by a colleagues and me earlier the basis of this book are still sound . Best is WFP/UNICEF/WHO/UNCR to respond. Main foucs is on ration planning which stands sound.. Rita

Rita Bhatia
Technical Expert

Answered:

1 year ago
Please login to post an answer:
Login