Hi all,

I am a Master student at Johns Hopkins University, working with Jodine Chase at IFE-Core Group and Mija Ververs. I am working on a case study on breast milk substitute (BMS) donations/code violation tactics by major BMS companies in an emergency setting.

Both WHA 63.23 (2010) and OG-IFE prohibit donations of BMS in emergencies. I would like to gather evidence/records of BMS donations and other code violations during the August 2017 flood in Bangladesh to examine such practices in emergencies.

I would need your support:

1. Does  anyone have media records of or reports on code violations in Bangladesh during that period?
  2. Similarly, are there any records/reports of NGOs or third-party agencies or individuals seeking or distributing BMS as a disaster relief effort?
  3. What would be your recommendations on resources for code monitoring specifically related to donations in an emergency context?
  4. Please share publications you think may be of interest, particularly any covering emergency contexts.

Specific Code violations most relevant to my search are listed below:

• WHA 63.23 & OG-IFE: 
    • Seeking and accepting donations of  BMS, complementary foods, other milk products or feeding equipment (including bottles, teats and breast pumps) in emergencies.
    • BMS, other milk products, bottles, and teats included in a general or blanket distribution
    •  Purchased supplies not based on assessed needs
  • Article 5& 6:
    • Feeding with infant formula not demonstrated by health workers
    • Companies displaying promotional materials within a maternity, nursery, or pediatric ward.
    • Free giveaways of vouchers or gift packs
    • Using "mothercraft" nurses or similar company-paid personnel
    • Cross-promotion of BMS products on donated equipment and materials
  • Article 7:
    • Free samples were given to mothers, their families, or health workers
    • Health workers giving samples of infant formula to pregnant women, mothers of infants and young children, or members of their families
  • Article 9:
    • BMS labels not in the local language or a language that is easily readable and understandable
    • No clear statement on the superiority of breastfeeding, the need for the advice of a health care worker, or a warning about health hazards
    • Labels included pictures of infants and text idealizing the use of infant formula
  • WHA 58.32 & WHA 63.23:
    • Advertisement of product/promotion of discounts on traditional mass media (radio, TV, newspaper, etc.) and digital platforms (social media apps and websites)

The Alive & Thrive initiative partnered with the Government of Bangladesh and icddr,b to assess Code violations in commercial settings and media in 2018. You can access the journal article here: https://doi.org/10.1111/mcn.13351. The title is "Violations of International Code of Breast-milk Substitutes (BMS) in commercial settings and media in Bangladesh."

Kristen Kappos

Answered:

1 year ago

Hi, I don't know if you still need information but I worked in that response on IYCF-E and just found my report. If you email me directly I can let you know what I have. 
alimaclaine@gmail.com

Ali Maclaine

Answered:

1 year ago

Hi Jiaya, I was chairing the IYCF-E working groups briefly in that response and I still have my handover notes and the minute from the meetings which have reports of code voilations. If you email me at alisonjdonnelly@gmail.com I'll share these with you. Alison

Alison Donnelly

Answered:

1 year ago
Please login to post an answer:
Login