Hi everyone, I hope you are well, my question is
Some children are admitted to the OTP with low MUAC values, and with mild standard deviation values, and because of this, their transition to MAM, or discharge from the program may be delayed until the child's standard deviation value rises to Z >0.
What should health workers provide to help this sample of children?

Hi Mohammed,

Please see this similar post on en-net, and the related article

The criteria for admission are independent and children with MUAC <115mm should be treated in OTP, irrespective of their weight-for-height. A WHZ score of between 0 to +2 would still be considered normal and so should not be of concern. 

The linked post and article describe the treatment of children with MAM and SAM and their anthropometric status at discharge. In the Malawian study described, none of the children that were SAM and treated with standard doses of RUTF were discharged overweight or with excess fat. 

I hope this helps

Paul Binns
Technical Expert

Answered:

1 year ago

Hi Mohammed,

Please see this similar post on en-net, and the related article

The criteria for admission are independent and children with MUAC <115mm should be treated in OTP, irrespective of their weight-for-height. A WHZ score of between 0 to +2 would still be considered normal and so should not be of concern. 

The linked post and article describe the treatment of children with MAM and SAM and their anthropometric status at discharge. In the Malawian study described, none of the children that were SAM and treated with standard doses of RUTF were discharged overweight or with excess fat. 

I hope this helps

Paul Binns
Technical Expert

Answered:

1 year ago

Thanks Dr Paul 

MOHAMMED AL-OTHMANI

Answered:

1 year ago
Please login to post an answer:
Login