COVID-19 quarantine has created new challenges for IYCF-E regarding families in quarantine who have infants and young children. In different countries, families are being kept in closed conditions in hotel rooms or homes and not able to leave. They are reliant on authorities to bring them food. I have reports of problems in Australia where police are managing quarantine in hotels and in Vietnam where the military are providing food. It seems that there has not been any consideration that the Operational Guidance on Infant and Young Child Feeding should apply in this situation. I was wondering if others have seen similar in other countries? I would be most grateful to hear any accounts of experiences elsewhere. Please feel free to reply here or email me k.gribble@westernsydney.edu.au

hi, 

Recently worked on a proposal in Sri Lanka where there were reports that age-appropriate food was not being provided for children in isolation and quarantine centers, and lots of "snacks" . I don't know if this is documented more officially somewhere but might be worth seeing if you can find some perspectives from there. 

In addition to the operational guidance on IYCF-E I also found UNICEF guidance (for UNICEF programming) on financial contributions helpful reference on guiding what should be provided in these contexts. 

COVID-Guidance on financial contributions and contributions in kind by FB.pdf (nutritioncluster.net)

Justine Aenishaenslin

Answered:

3 years ago
Please login to post an answer:
Login