Hi to everyone, 

when is the Family-MUAC approach not recommended? May you please share with me some articles and evidence in which this aspect is highlighted?

Moreover, I need some articles and evidences which explain the reason why it is better to call the approach Family-MUAC instead of Mother-MUAC.

I will appreciate receiving a quick answer.

Thanks a lot,

Ilaria 

Good Morning Everyone on this platform,

Just to reflect  upon a similar question that was posed by a district health official from Karamoja when we had a partners coordination meeting, the family MUAC approach is a good adaptation but may not be very possible to implement in areas with chronic food insecurity  and low literacy and knowledge levels in regards to malnutrition like Karamoja where some caregivers prefer that a child stays longer on the MAM treatment so as they continue getting the food that is ideally prescribed to help a malnourished to recover from severe weight loss.

In circumstances where it needs to be applied, there should consistent growth monitoring of the child by qualified health workers and also intensive health and nutrition education to the entire family with emphasis that Malnutrition is a disease and that food acts like medicine that should only be consumed by a sick child suffering from MAM 

Regards

Charles

Charles Ochaya

Answered:

3 years ago

Tks a lot, do you have scientific or operational articles to share with me?

Ilaria Di Modugno

Answered:

3 years ago

Tks a lot, do you have scientific or operational articles to share with me?

Ilaria Di Modugno

Answered:

3 years ago

Dear Ilaria,

Am sharing with you the link to a number of resources, including Quick Guidance on the Family MUAC approach that includes information on when this approach should be considered along with a summary of the evidence and links to articles. 

https://www.simplifiedapproaches.org/copy-of-tools-resources

I don't believe you'll find any citations that directly address the question on Family-MUAC vs Mother-MUAC; however, given that Family MUAC is not limited to just mothers, but also fathers and other caregivers this name has been widely adopted.

Warm regards,

Grace Funnell

Answered:

3 years ago
Please login to post an answer:
Login