Good morning all,

Could someone enlighten me if there is scientific evidence on the link between the mother's diet and the frequency of bowel movements in infants who are exclusively breastfed?

Would it be possible to share documentation on the subject with me?

Hi Andre

I'm not aware of documentation on this topic (beyond the first few days and clearing of meconium).  In counselling mothers of exclusively breastfed babies in HIC, we generally say that frequency of bowel movements is very variable, and that anything between 5 times a day and once every five days can be normal.  Consistency and colour should be like pumpkin soup.  Frequency of urination is very important - babies should produce the equivalent of at least 6-8 very wet cloth diapers each day. That shows that they are getting enough breastmilk.  Bowel movements are not the preferred indicator of adequate breastmilk intake.

I hope that's useful.  Or, if you could explain why you are looking for that information, ie. what question  you are trying to answer, perhaps I could give a more satisfactory response.

Warm regards.

bindi

Bindi Borg

Answered:

3 years ago

Dear Bindi Borg ,

Thank you for these answers, I do not want to solve a practical problem in the field, but a research question.

Thank you

BITA ANDRE IZACAR GAEL

Answered:

3 years ago
Please login to post an answer:
Login