Dear all,

we have been facing facing challenges of RUTF shortage in some part of Northeast Nigeria, due to security challenges which wont allow us to have miitary clearance for our cargo transportation. in a nutshell we have now stopped all new admissions in our OTP Programming, we only managed to collect some cartons of RUTF to manage those clients on program, and we have exhausted that too, what next can we do, since the organization is afraid to transport those RUTF and they cant use UNHAS to do that.

what advise can you please give me- I am their Nutrition officer-Health System Strengthening.

Regards,

MM

These are very difficult problems.  I would say with limited RUTF, and SAM children going untreated, RUTF should be saved for SAM children while they have SAM.  When the SAM children progress to MAM, then put them on supplementary food.  A standard MAM ratio of fortified CSB.  I would also use a simple, standard dose of RUTF for all SAM kids; 2 packets/ day, do not account for their age or weight.

While it is unlikley that you would have the resources to make your own RUTF, it is entriely possible to mix the ingredients together. RUTF is really made up of 4 ingredients in roughly equal proportions; powdered milk, vegetable oil, sugar and peanut paste.

Mark Manary
Technical Expert

Answered:

3 years ago

I do not know if air drop is a possibility ? If that can be an option, we are producing BP-100, which can be air dropped and is an approved RUTF product. Please see info about BP-100 here: https://www.gcrieber-compact.com/products/malnutrition/treatment/bp-100/

I hope you will be able to find a solution for this bad situation. Please reach out if we can assist in any way ! 

Vidar Kvamme

Answered:

3 years ago

Thank you so much mark for the response, i will appreciate if i will have  any backing documents that talked about giving the 2 sachets of the RUTF per Kids in such a scenerio.

Regards,

Mudarrifu002@gmail.com

Mohammed Mudarrifu

Answered:

3 years ago

Dear Mudarrifu Mohammed

Please see this post and the links below for resources and guidance on the simplified protocol approach. I think these will provide the references you need:

https://www.en-net.org/question/3969.aspx

https://acutemalnutrition.org/en/Simplified-Approaches

Best wishes,

Tamsin

Tamsin Walters
Forum Moderator

Answered:

3 years ago

Hello,

Local blended flour is effective for children with MAM.

Mbaye Diop

Answered:

3 years ago

Hello Dear collaborator,

We have put in place formulas for the management of MAM in developing countries. We did the tests and the results were interesting. This research has been the subject of several scientific publications. You can view them online or contact me as needed. Thanks for the cooperation.

E.mail: kouakouegnonvivien@yahoo.fr/Skype: kegnon

Dr KOUAKOU EGNON

Answered:

3 years ago

Dear Dr Egnon,

Please can you kindly share links to the publications? 

Best wishes,

Tamsin

Tamsin Walters
Forum Moderator

Answered:

3 years ago

Hello Collaborators,

Please use the titles to search for these publications on Google. I remain available for any other information.

TRADITIONAL PROCESS FOR THE PRODUCTION OF THERAPEUTIC FOODS FOR THE NUTRITIONAL MANAGEMENT OF THE MALNOURISHED

Nutritional Performance of Diet Made with Soya / Maize and 'Pistachio' / Rice in the Rehabilitation of Underfed Rats

STUDY OF THE NUTRITIONAL POTENTIAL OF FISH / RICE SCHEMES AND "PISTACHIO" / RICE IN THE NUTRITIONAL REHABILITATION OF MALNOURISHED YOUNG RATS

TRADITIONAL ENRICHMENT OF RICE FLOUR AND SOYA FOR THE PRODUCTION OF WEANING FLOUR.

Dr KOUAKOU EGNON

Answered:

3 years ago
Please login to post an answer:
Login