Hello, I am a fellow evaluating a community-based supplementary feeding program focused on children 6-59 months with MAM (we refer out for SAM) in a complex emergency context. We enroll if MUAC is <125mm, and we provide 8 fixed weeks of feeding/follow up; we do not discharge. We also do not take WFH. Our team has been defining recovery as the last follow-up MUAC greater than or equal to 125mm; is this in line with other organizations / WHO?

Essentially, is one MUAC greater than or equal to 125mm sufficient to meet MAM recovery criteria, or should we be using two consecutive MUACs >/= 125 mm? I see a lot of guidance for SAM recovery critieria, but not as much for MAM. I am newer to this field, so I appreciate your patience and feedback.

There is no UN official definition of recovery from MAM, but logically many of us find ourselves using the criterion of no longer qualifying for MAM treatment.  

I would caution against using the word recovery in MUAC only-based programs, as -2 SD for 12 mo girls for MUAC is 12.0cm.  So a number of the girls treated for MAM are not < 2SD below the population average.  Rather use term, 'final MUAC > 12.4cm'.  One MUAC > 12.4cm is enough, do not require 2 unless your main purpose is to give out lots of supplementary food.

Mark Manary

Answered:

4 years ago

WFP uses the following criteria for MAM client discharge in Ethiopia

If a child was admitted based on MUAC, they should be discharged based on a target weight gain of 13%  AND MUAC ≥12.5 cm for 2 consecutive distributions.

If the child reaches 13% target weight gain, but the MUAC measurement remains <12.5 cm, the child should continue attending TSFP distributions until the MUAC reaches ≥12.5 cm.

For PLW, MUAC ≥23cm for two consecutive follow ups

Desalegn

Answered:

4 years ago

In Nepal, we use following discharge criteria for MAM:

MUAC >125 mm (12.5cm) And

Minimum 2 months stay in the program. 

Sher Singh Dahit

Answered:

4 years ago
Please login to post an answer:
Login