Hello,
An ex colleague of mine at the LSHTM is looking for contacts working on nutritional support for survivors of violence (related to trauma and healing).
Any lead is welcome!
Thanks

Hi Severine,

I've worked in the hospital setting in Ireland and have just finished in LSHTM. Trauma, and burns patients in particular have excessively high energy and protein requirements. We used equations to calculate their requirements for each of these, depending on the type and severity of the trauma. There's also some evidence that enteral supplementation of glutamine (if available) demonstrates good outcomes in burn and trauma patients however it's use is more conflicting in critically ill patients.

Happy to provide further information if this is the type of information your colleague is looking for. I'm not working in this area specifically but could perhaps help guide in the right direction.

Ciara

Ciara

Answered:

6 years ago

Thank you Ciara. That would be great.

Severine

Severine Frison

Answered:

6 years ago

Hi Ciara,
Is it OK for en-net to share your contact with me?
Thanks,
Severine

Severine Frison

Answered:

6 years ago

With my long experience in the management of severe acute malnutrition in intensive therapeutic nutrition units and the management of trauma, most importantly for good care there must be:
1. nutritional protocol on the management of trauma (ex, case of burns) and also a protocol of nutritional management.
2. strict protocol compliance proves most important
3. make a good follow-up of the prescription of antibiotics.

ngakani nyongolo delvaux

Answered:

6 years ago

The experience that I have in the hospital context on the supplementation of burns patients, as these patients are at risk of developing malnutrition through deficiency in mineral salts not to mention also the increased protein needs. As advised, the patients should be considered as severely malnourished cases if they have  20% burns. That is, 3 sachets of plumpy nut per day at 1500kcal / day. If he cannot take the plumpy nut use F100 milk at 150 kcal per kg / for 8 times per day. For those with less than 20% burns, supplement with 2 sachets per day at 1000kcal / day.

ngakani nyongolo delvaux

Answered:

6 years ago

jI5KD0 http://www.LnAJ7K8QSpfMO2wQ8gO.com

Barneyxcq

Answered:

6 years ago
Please login to post an answer:
Login