Infants under 6 months old are vulnerable to malnutrition……now a step forward to diagnosing them http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/recent.

In this recent publication, we took a step wise approach in investigating predictive and discriminatory value of common anthropometric measures (WFL, LAZ, WAZ & MUAC) to in-patient and post-discharge mortality among infants under 6 months. The paper focuses on answering 3 key questions;

- How best to identify malnutrition by anthropometric measures at a single time point in the under 6 months?
- What is the effect of age on the discriminatory value of anthropometry in under 6 months?
- What MUAC single cut-off could be applied for diagnosis and intervention among under 6 months?

We conclude that MUAC and WAZ are better predictors of mortality than WLZ and hence should be used to diagnose acute malnutrition. A MUAC criteria of <11.0cm was statistically optimal to target infants at the highest risk of death.

We hope you find the read useful and informative.

Martha

hello,
I'm interested in reading your article, but the link is not valid anymore (your article is not a recent publication anymore) could you give more details on the title, authors, and where to find it?
Thank you,
Pascale

Pascale Delchevalerie

Answered:

5 years ago

Hello,
I'm interested in reading your article, but the link is not valid anymore (your publication is not "recent"): could you give me more details on the title, authors and where to find it?
Thank you,
Pascale

Pascale Delchevalerie

Answered:

5 years ago

Is this what you are looking for?

Mark Myatt
Technical Expert

Answered:

5 years ago

Yeees!
Thank you very much for your rapid answer