Recently , i knew from one tecnical nutrition health worker about the relation between micronutrients that used to enhance the appetite in SAM children to feed them later on with plumpy nut . I'm not sure if this scintifically based on evidence or it is just a general observation in some cases . Do any one have an article or prove in this regard ??.

Regards

Dear senior Nutritional Experts
what I meant is not the feeding practices with plumpy nut feeding for the Children above five years, but for the children under-five who are very seriously malnourished.

thanks a lot
yours best listening

Yusuf Lare

Answered:

7 years ago

Hello Shima,

In my experience and knowledge, MNP should not be given to the SAM and MAM cases as one of the component of the plumpy nut/sup is Micro nutrient.

Hamed Habbat

Answered:

7 years ago

Dear Shima,

Ideally, children with no appetite should be fed F-75 and associated complications which may induce anorexia, mainly infections, should be treated. In that case, there is no need to give Micro Nutrient Powder (MNP) as F-75 is already fortified with all nutrients needed by SAM children.

I am not aware of any evidence showing than MNP have an effect on anorexia in SAM children. I am not sure it is a good idea either, as these MNP often have a high iron content which can create problems in children with infections or oxidative stress.

André Briend
Technical Expert

Answered:

7 years ago

Thanks Hamed & Andre for your replies . I'm with you in what you said . I'm not sure about the relation between micronutrients and enhancing appetitie in SAM cases . I tried to search for any article or evidence to support this practice , but i did not find .

Thanks a gain and happy to recieve any comemnts if any .

Regards

shima mansor

Answered:

7 years ago

Dear All,
Greetings from Pakistan.
It has been a very interesting topic because normally in field, we don't follow the rules to provide MM Supplements in addition to the others.
While going through this case, I have always observed that whenever we apply Multivitamins or Micro-nutrients, the appetite tends to improve. It has been observed in around 50% cases in the field and mostly, talking from Medical Point of View, the Practitioners always prescribe the multivitamins just with the intentions to increase the appetite.
Any other reply in this case will be highly valued.

Mushtaq HassaN

Answered:

7 years ago
Please login to post an answer:
Login