I work as a Principal Nutritionist in Lusaka province in Zambia. There has been an increase in morbidity of hypertension and diabetes in the hospitals in the province. I would like to conduct an operational research on actual prevalence and causes so that I we can devise strategies to address the problem. My request is to get assistance on how I can go about doing an operational research on causes of nutritional-related NCDs and how to devise strategies to address it.

Hi,
Get in touch with me on zbukania@gmail.com,

Anonymous

Answered:

8 years ago

Hello dear colleague
I will share an excerpt from the WHO checklist: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs355/fr/

Who is at risk?

All age groups and all regions are affected by NCDs. They are often associated with older age groups, but the facts show that more than 9 million deaths attributed to noncommunicable diseases occur before the age of 60. 90% of these "premature" deaths occur in low- and middle-income. Children, adults and seniors are all vulnerable to risk factors, whether poor diet, physical inactivity, exposure to tobacco smoke and the effects of harmful use of the alcohol.

These diseases are caused by phenomena such as aging, rapid unplanned urbanization and globalization adverse health lifestyles. For example, the poor diet of globalization can mean at the individual level by increasing the blood pressure, blood sugar, blood lipids, by overweight and obesity. the so-called "intermediate risk factors" that can lead to cardiovascular disease, which are part of NCDs.

Risk factors

behavioral risk factors that can be modified
Smoking, physical inactivity, poor diet and the harmful use of alcohol increase risk or are the cause of most NCDs.

Tobacco is blamed nearly 6 million deaths per year (6 million direct smoking and 600,000 by exposure to smoke from others) and, according to projections, this figure should increase to 8 million by 2030.
Approximately attributed 3.2 million deaths per year in insufficient physical activity.
Approximately 1.7 million deaths are attributable to low fruit and vegetables.
Half of the 2.3 million 2 deaths due to harmful use of alcohol are caused by NCDs.
Factors of metabolic / physiological risks
These behaviors involve mainly four metabolic / physiological changes that increase the risk of NCDs: hypertension, overweight / obesity, hyperglycaemia (high blood sugar) and hyperlipidemia (too much fat in the blood).

The number of related deaths, the main risk factor for NCDs is high blood pressure (which was assigned 16.5% of deaths worldwide (1)), followed by smoking (9%), hyperglycemia ( 6%), physical inactivity (6%) and overweight or obesity (5%). The problem of overweight among young children growing fastest in low- and middle-income.

Hope it can help to approach your search.
Good continuation

Jean Claude

Answered:

8 years ago
Please login to post an answer:
Login