Dear Colleagues,

I am working as Information Manager Officer with an INGO in Pakistan. I would like to design a comprehensive database for Nutrition, FSL and WASH; In which data entry and data analysis can be made easily.

So, guidance is required that what Indicator do I set for FSL and WASH which can further correlated with the burden of malnutrition.

It would be great support for me if some one have a template of database to get the exact idea.

Dear Ali,

I think it would be helpful if you can tell us a bit more about the type of data you are able to collect so that people can respond more easily to your question.

Are you intending to implement surveys to collect food security, WASH and nutrition data? Or do you have programme data? If it is the latter, the data will depend on the types of programmes you are implementing.

Best wishes,
Tamsin

Tamsin Walters
Forum Moderator

Answered:

8 years ago

From Ali:

My objective is to centralise the program data for FSL and WASH which covers all components and activities, similarly as we are doing for Nutrition program using Nutrition Information System (NIS) in Pakistan.

Tamsin Walters
Forum Moderator

Answered:

8 years ago

Sounds like a very interesting exercise... although I'm not clear what the scale of this system is and if it's just covering your own INGO programming or for a bigger scale. It's also not clear if the INGO you're working with has WASH/FSL activities. In this case the indicators will be those that the programme success are measured by. It's also not clear if you're setting up a database for consolidation of existing data or proposing additional data collection (i.e. some form of surveillance tool).

I would be cautious of focusing on statistical correlations as we already know what causes malnutrition. There are too many complicating factors when comparing specific individual outcomes to proxy indicators for household food security etc.

Again, the purpose of your database will determine indicator selection and the purpose is not necessarily clear from your messages.

Best

Phil

Philip McKinney

Answered:

8 years ago

Dear Ali,

It might also be of help to you to check out this recent discussion on linking water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) with nutrition on the Sustainable Sanitation Alliance (SuSanA) forum:

http://forum.susana.org/forum/categories/243-thematic-discussion-7-linking-wash-and-nutrition-acfgiz-march-2016

I have also contacted them to alert others to your question.

Best wishes,
Tamsin

Tamsin Walters
Forum Moderator

Answered:

8 years ago

Dear Tamsin,

Thanks for referring the Sustainable Sanitation Alliance (SuSanA) forum for further discussion on integrated database.

Best Regards,
Naveed Ali

Navid

Answered:

8 years ago
Please login to post an answer:
Login