We are planning to integrate MUAC measurement into Child Health Week. Our aim is to identify as many SAM as possible who will be referred to the closest CMAM site and to get a sense of the nutritional situation in war torn difficult to reach districts. An organization has some expiring Plumpy Doz and wants to distribute it to those children who attend the CHW. My concern is for those who are SAM and the Nutritional content of Plumpy Doz. I am not sure its iron and or soduim content and am hesitating if we could accept it being distributed to all. We are planning to send a message to the field instructing the health workers who and how much of the Plumpy Doz should be given. We don't know the content of Plumpy Doz as it is not in our hands at present and was wondering if anyone had an experience of using Plumpy Doz in such settings.
dear anonymous, Please find below the composition of Plumpy-doz: For 46.3 g (recommended daily dose) Energy 247 kcal Selenium 17 ?g Proteins 5.9 g Manganese 0.17 mg Proteins (% kcal) 10 % Vitamin A 400 ?g Lipids 16.0 g Vitamin E 6 mg Lipids (% kcal) 58 % Vitamin C 30 mg Calcium 387 mg Vitamin B1 0.5 mg Phosphorus 275 mg Vitamin B2 0.5 mg Potassium 310 mg Vitamin B6 0.5 mg Magnesium 60 mg Vitamin B12 0.9 ?g Zinc 9 mg Folic acid 160 ?g Copper 0.3 mg Pantothenic acid 2 mg Iron 9 mg Niacin 6 mg Iodine 90 ?g We have used it as preventive blanket distribution in Niger (were SAM is also prevalent) without reports of adverse effects (I 'm not sure there are risks of over dosage as we observed, at the contrary, that often the ration was shared in the family. Good luck
Pascale Delchevalerie

Answered:

14 years ago
Hi ... Plumpy doz is basically RUSF (Ready to Use Supplementary Food)...lacking enough quantity of macro nutrients. I see no harm in giving it to the SAM, But it will not address the actual needs of the SAM group. Other details are as Under: General information As a supplement to traditional food, a daily intake of the product Plumpy'doz can satisfy the nutritional needs of children aged 6 to 36 months. The product Plumpy'doz is also recommended for use in programmes aiming at preventing moderate malnutrition. Plumpy'doz is a ready to use supplementary food (RUSF); hence it does not need to be mixed with another food before consumption. Recommended daily dose: 46.3 g (about 3 teaspoons, 3 times a day). Recommended weekly dose: 325 g. Pallet of 60 boxes: Net weight 702kg Gross weight 783kg Dimensions:1x 1.2x 1.58m Volume:2.02m³ Specifications Product from NUTRISET For 100g of plumpy'doz : Kcal (534), of which 9.5% protein calories and 58.2% lipidic calories. Calcium 836.8 mg, Phosphorus594 mg, Potassium670.6 mg, Magnesium129.6 mg, Zinc 19.4 mg, Copper 0.6 mg, Iron 19.4 mg. Iodine 194.4 µg, Selenium 36.7 µg.Manganese 0.37 mg.Vitamin A 863.9 µg.Vitamin E 12.9 mg.Vitamin C 64.8 mg.Vitamin B1 1.1 mg. Vitamin B2 1.1 mg.Vitamin B6 1.1 mg.Vitamin B12 1.9 µg. Folic Acid 345.6 µg. Pantothenic Acid 4.3 mg. Niacin 12.9 mg. Best wishes Dr. Ijaz habib Peshawar Pakistan.
Dr ijaz habib

Answered:

14 years ago
Thanks for both of you for quick response. It is appreciated. But I notice in both responses the there is not mention of Soduim. Why is that? Does this mean we should not worry about the the Soduim content of Plumpy Doz even for SAM children?
Anonymous

Answered:

14 years ago
Almost no Sodium in Plumpy Doz.....Being an oral supplement its safe...... Detailed table for sodium levels can be provided via mail, if u need it...... (courtesy of : aAuthor for correspondence: Saskia de Pee, Policy, Strategy and Programme Support Division, World Food Programme, Via Cesare Giulio, 68/70 Parco de'Medici, Rome 00148, Italy.) regards ijaz
Dr ijaz habib

Answered:

14 years ago
Dear all. If someone could please point to references of controlled studies as to the safety and efficiency of the use of PlumpyDoz and other RUSF's, this would be greatly appreciated. Regards - Torben
Torben Bruhn

Answered:

14 years ago

I am wondering if I can give plumpy doz to 6 and 10 year old children. oday

mohamoud oday

Answered:

8 years ago

Thank u sir...please cam you help me with the percentaur formulation of eaxh of the ingredients used in the production...Am an Msc. Student in nutrition presenting doing my research on local producto on of RUSF.
my email is
samirasharef2014@yahoo.com.
hope to here frm u

Samira sharef Abubakar

Answered:

7 years ago

What is the proportion of each ingredient used in the preparation? e.g. like whole fat, vegetable oil, pulse or nuts, sugar, vitamin and mineral mix...what is the percentage / proportion of each please?

I am an Msc. Student in nutrition presently doing my research on local production of RUSF.

Samira sharef Abubakar

Answered:

7 years ago
Please login to post an answer:
Login