Dear colleagues, I would highly appreciate any input you may have on the following: I am currently in one of the Ebola-affected countries and we are brainstorming about conducting a SQUEAC. We have data on OTPs (and IPFs) from 2012 onwards, which includes the period of high-peak Ebola outbreak. With the Ebola outbreak there was a 'collapse' in health services and usage. Therefore, I am wondering how this will affect results from a SQUEAC and whether a possible effect would be of concern. I am not only thinking about the quantitative data, but also the effect on qualitative data and the value of this for future (hopefully non-ebola) context. Any input and/or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Suzanne
Hi Suzanne, Action Against Hunger conducted a SQUEAC assessment in Sierra Leone in 2014. It might be of interest to read the experiences here (pg.34): [url]http://www.actionagainsthunger.org.uk/sites/default/files/publications/acf_learningreview2014.pdf[/url] Regarding your specific question, the findings from the SQUEAC will reflect back to you the current issues around access and uptake of services. These have surely been shaped by the Ebola outbreak. So, in my opinion, it will be interesting to carry out a SQUEAC to better inform future programming, considering that the context (e.g. health seeking behaviour) may have been significantly changed by this event. Sophie
Sophie Woodhead

Answered:

9 years ago
I am not entirely sure what is being asked. With a collapse in service provision and uptake the effect will be a collapse in coverage (as this is just the product of provision and uptake). I think that qualitative work might concentrate on two main things ... (1) What were the main barriers (problems) in the CMAM program prior to collapse? This will tell you what you need to avoid when rebuilding the program. (2) What are the current barriers? I would concentrate on SQUEAC stage I and maybe SQUEAC stage II work (qualitative work and hypothesis testing) and leave coverage estimation (SQUEAC stage III) until the program was functioning again. I hope this helps.
Mark Myatt
Technical Expert

Answered:

9 years ago
Please login to post an answer:
Login