I am currently working with a protocol to be used in treatment of SAM. Some questions raised, and I hope some of you will be able to answer them. First question is about the nutritional recommendations (energy-recommendations) for children above 5 years, adolescents, adults and elderly with severe malnutrition that are being treated in phase 1, transition phase and phase 2. I have seen the recommendations from WHO 1999 (Mgt of severe malnutrition: a manual for ...), but are there other recommendations that I should be aware of? And, WHO has developed tables regarding the amount of F75 to give according to weight and feeding frequency. However, they have made this table up to 10 kg (12 kg). I would like to include children/adolescent/adults also in the table I construct. I have seen some tables at various CMAM-documents but I can’t find a reference anywhere. Therefore I wonder, do anyone have good references, thoughts etc about this? It also concerns transition phase and phase 2…
Hi Sunniva, HelpAge International has developed guidelines for the management of malnutrition in older people: Nutrition interventions for older people in emergencies. You will find the answer to your questions about phase 1, transition and phase in this guidelines available at [url]http://www.helpage.org/resources/practical-guidelines/emergency-guidelines[/url]
Pascale Fritsch

Answered:

9 years ago
Thank you very much Pascal Fritsh! Hopefully someone else can answer about the other age groups!
Sunniva N.

Answered:

9 years ago
Please login to post an answer:
Login