Does anyone know of any research or practical interventions that have investigated plausible time frames for the rehabilitation of children under the age of 24 months with stunting? I am trying to get an idea of how long it might take to reverse the effects of stunting in terms of sex-matched height for age. Obviously in order to effectively address stunting, all key causes will need addressing in parallel. But assuming they are, the issue is complicated by the fact that growth is episodic, with long periods of stasis (between 2 and 63 days) punctuated by short phases of saltation (growth spurts), so that there is no growth during 90–95% of healthy infancy. We know that effects of both severe and moderate acute MN can be reversed in a matter of weeks, whereby 60 days is usually set as a cut-off for non-response. But is there something similar for stunting? I am assuming the timeframe will differ for cases of severe stunting and moderate stunting, although maybe catch-up growth is more rapid in severe cases, so the overall timeframe may be similar. Or maybe timeframes will differ for both severe and moderate, but also by age groups i.e. severe stunting 0-6m, 6-12m, 12-24m and moderate stunting 0-6m, 6-12m, 12-24m. Any guidance would be very much appreciated....
I just wanted to re-post the above to see if anyone has any feedback. As a guestimate I'm thinking maybe 4-6mths would be an adequate timeline to use (in programmatic terms) to try to reverse the effects of stunting and elicit 'catch-up growth' in small children under 24m? Assuming long periods of stasis (~60days), 4 months would allow for at least 2 x episodes of growth + 'catch-up' and 6 months would potentially allow for ~3 x episodes. Does anyone have any thoughts on this issue?
Hatty

Answered:

9 years ago
This website would be helpful: [url]www:unsystem.org/scn/archives/app19/ch09htm[/url] Ref: Improving Child Growth - Consequences of poor growth (Paragraph 3)
Henry Allieu

Answered:

9 years ago
I think this page/website would be helpful 'www:unsystem.org/scn/archives/app.19/ch09htm Ref: Improving Child Growth - Consequences of poor growth (Paragraph 3)
Henry Allieu

Answered:

9 years ago
I think this page/website would be helpful 'www:unsystem.org/scn/archives/app.19/ch09htm Ref: Improving Child Growth - Consequences of poor growth (Paragraph 3)
Henry Allieu

Answered:

9 years ago
Dear Henry - thanks so much for posting the link but it appears the page has been removed, or name changed, as it's registering as temporarily unavailable. Would you be able to email me the paper directly: hbarthorp@goal.ie Much appreciated.
Hatty

Answered:

9 years ago

Hello dear all

We are preparing a practical training for counsellors in IYCF-E.

So, I ask if someone can send us more practical training modules for IYCF-E counselors on techniques for conducting individual counseling sessions and communication techniques

Thank you

cordially

Anonymous

Answered:

9 years ago
Hi This is a pertinent question and clearly something that agencies are discussing. I've asked around and it seems difficult to answer because apparently there have been few interventions (or good operational research attached to interventions) which have managed to achieve a significant effect on growth. It seems that many interventions have recorded some effects but none have recorded large enough effects to see a complete reversal from stunted to non-stunted (especially for most severe stunting). Points where some studies have limitations include - If significant effects on stunting and wasting are demonstrated, does this also provide information on optimal levels of supplementation? How was compliance? What other treatment (eg medical) did the intervention group receive, and which could affect the results? This question seems to be one that has mainly been asked at population rather than individual child level in the past... Sorry not be of more help!
Sonya LeJeune
Technical Expert

Answered:

9 years ago
Please login to post an answer:
Login