Is it acceptable to use Plumpy'sup in place of Plumpy'nut when it is not available? What are the considerations? This would take place in a stabilization unit for children with SAM with medical complications. We will be out of stock for a few weeks but do have some Plumpy'sup available.
It will not replace Plumpy’nut as it does not meet the specifications for treatment of SAM. If your stock out is only for a short period and the children are inpatients then it would be best to use F100. But in the absence of F100 then yes, this may be your best option as a temporary measure specific to children who are in the stabilisation centre. Apologies for the delay in responding.
Anne Walsh

Answered:

10 years ago
Thank you for the response Anne. Would you be able to expand on why it doesn't meet the specifications? I recognize it's not ideal, but I have the specs for the Plumpy'sup we have in Haiti and it meets the macronutrient requirements and minimum micronutrient requirements for the treatment of SAM. I'm using the 2007 WHO Community-based Management of Severe Malnutrition guideline for my comparison. Is this out of date? Are there other considerations?
Anonymous

Answered:

10 years ago
Similar question was posted on this forum. Looking at the nutritional composition of both products, they seems similar both in Macro and micronutrient. However, the key point to consider is the ingredients. Please look at the following links http://www.en-net.org.uk/question/289.aspx.
Anonymous

Answered:

10 years ago
Please login to post an answer:
Login