We have been offered an in-kind donation of this product and I am trying to find out a bit more about it. Initial inquiries with nutrition peers suggests that nobody has heard of it. I am skeptical, and concerned about introducing it for fear of confusion with other proven, efficacious products. However, as a "donation" of course there is exists the desire to think through this and see if there may be an appropriate, safe use for the product. Any suggestions?
It is mangosteen juice. The company has been very agressivly marketing it and claimed a lot of health effects. On September 20, 2006, the United States Food and Drug Administration issued a warning letter to XanGo LLC International in response to the company's promotion of Xango juice as a drug, in violation of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act [21 U.S.C. ยง 321(g)(1)], by claiming that it could treat and/or cure various diseases. On November 3, 2008, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit ruled that the decision of a patent appeals board to deny XanGo's patent application would still stand. In October 2008, the company claimed to have over 1 million independent distributors worldwide, and operated in 28 countries. The retail price of a 750ml bottle of XanGo in the USA is $37-50 and the company sells it mainly using a nine-level multi-level marketing structure. It is descibed as a marketing "scam". It is simply an overpriced fruit drink. My strong advice is to refuse the donation.
Michael Golden

Answered:

13 years ago
Sorry for the confusion Michael. This stuff is actually something other that on which you have commented (though I am uncertain as to any greater contribution to efforts in emergency nutrition). It is actually called Xango Goodness Meal Pack and is a porridge mix manufactured in Utah, USA. Roughly been suggested for supplementary feeding, but again, I think there is nothing to back this up. Nobody seems to know anything about it. Some folks at Supply Division for Unicef investigating. I think your comments on the "juice drink" are telling in that despite your place in the emergency nutrition community, you are not aware of it. Certainly leaning towards not accepting it, but would like to know more and make sure that there is not a place for it to be directed to pregnant mothers or families without U5s or something like that before declining it.
Eric S. Anderson

Answered:

13 years ago
I bit of Googling ... The XanGo Goodness Meal pack comes from the company identified by Mike. What Mikes says about the company is correct. I think it sensible for him to report it being described as a scam (that is true) rather than make the claim outright. The meal packs seem to be endorsed by the US-based Americares NGO. You may want to contact them to confirm.
Mark Myatt
Technical Expert

Answered:

13 years ago
Please login to post an answer:
Login