Peace, mercy and blessings of God be upon you.... I commissioned research on the relationship of breastfeeding to malnutrition in children from 6 months to 5 years in a health centre in my city. I would really appreciate your support and advice on the questions I need in writing the questionnaire for this research.....my sincere greetings to all

Dear Mohammed,

please reach out to us by email at l.blanarova@actionagainsthunger.org.uk. We will be happy to share our experience from Link NCA nutrition causal analyses. 

Kindest regards,

Lenka

Lenka Blanarova

Answered:

1 year ago

Hi Mohammed 

Please feel free to share your questionnaire with me at bindi_borg@yahoo.com.au 

Warm regards 

Bindi Borg

Answered:

1 year ago

You will almost certainly find that the longer babies are breastfed, the more malnourished they are on average. It was because of research like this that WHO, up until they Innocenti meeting in 1990 (, when it changed to the still current recommendation 2 years and more) advised that breastfeeding should last "well interesting the second year.

There are very clear explanations of this. First, you must find a way to measure your subjects' socio-eco ic status. Poorer women breastfeed longer but of course for other reasons their babies are more likely to become malnourished.

You must be very careful and detailed in how you define and measure breastfeeding patterns. Someone who breastfeeds once a day and gives bottles the rest the time must not be lumped together with someone who breastfeeds exclusively or almost exclusively. See this open access article: https://internationalbreastfeedingjournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1746-4358-9-18

One of the most innovative studies on this issue found that the reason for this phenomenon is reverse causation. Mothers with small or sick children keep on breastfeeding even though the baby reached an age when they likely would have stopped otherwise. Their methodology was complex, but you should try to get the full text of their article: https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=pt-BR&as_sdt=0%2C5&q=habicht+Peru+breastfeeding+&btnG=#d=gs_qabs&t=1684523289524&u=%23p%3Ddi_bpS4skm8J

Ted Greiner

Answered:

1 year ago

You will almost certainly find that the longer babies are breastfed, the more malnourished they are on average. It was because of research like this that WHO, up until they Innocenti meeting in 1990 (, when it changed to the still current recommendation 2 years and more) advised that breastfeeding should last "well interesting the second year.

There are very clear explanations of this. First, you must find a way to measure your subjects' socio-eco ic status. Poorer women breastfeed longer but of course for other reasons their babies are more likely to become malnourished.

You must be very careful and detailed in how you define and measure breastfeeding patterns. Someone who breastfeeds once a day and gives bottles the rest the time must not be lumped together with someone who breastfeeds exclusively or almost exclusively. See this open access article: https://internationalbreastfeedingjournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1746-4358-9-18

One of the most innovative studies on this issue found that the reason for this phenomenon is reverse causation. Mothers with small or sick children keep on breastfeeding even though the baby reached an age when they likely would have stopped otherwise. Their methodology was complex, but you should try to get the full text of their article: https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=pt-BR&as_sdt=0%2C5&q=habicht+Peru+breastfeeding+&btnG=#d=gs_qabs&t=1684523289524&u=%23p%3Ddi_bpS4skm8J

Ted Greiner

Answered:

1 year ago

Hello, 

I feel one of the things among many that you should carefully investigate is the type of complementary food used side by side breast milk. What are it's components and how often is it used. Are the mothers working class or full time housewives as this also impacts on the frequency of feeding. What are the sanitation levels of the community in question, a sick community is most likely to be malnourished. You can reach out to me if you need any form of clarity on this topic. katejoshua@yahoo.com.

Thanks 

Joyce Ene ocheola Oki

Answered:

1 year ago
Please login to post an answer:
Login