Good morning, 

Please, can weight-for-age be used in assessment of nutritional status of children above 10 years of age?

Secondly, can one use height-for-age in assessing nutrition in children older than 5 years.

I would appreciate any publications on these. 

Thanks 

Iyke 

Dear Iyke,

Please see the WHO growth charts for reference data for these groups: https://www.who.int/tools/growth-reference-data-for-5to19-years

I hope this is of help.

Best wishes,

Tamsin

Tamsin Walters
Forum Moderator

Answered:

2 years ago

You are limited to the range of ages (or heights / lengths) for which references / standards are available These are:

•    Weight-for-length z-scores for children with lengths between 45 and 110 cm

•    Weight-for-height z-scores for children with heights between 65 and 120 cm

•    Length-for-age z-scores for children aged less than 24 months

•    Height-for-age z-scores for children aged between 24 and 228 months

•    Weight-for-age z-scores for children aged between zero and 120 months

•    Body mass index-for-age z-scores for children aged between zero and 228 months

•    MUAC-for-age z-scores for children aged between 3 and 228 months

•    Triceps skinfold-for-age z-scores for children aged between 3 and 60 months

•    Sub-scapular skinfold-for-age z-scores for children aged between 3 and 60 months

•    Head circumference-for-age z-scores for children aged between zero and 60 months

The MUAC/A reference in the above is from Mramba et al. (2017) using data from the USA and Africa. This reference has been validated with African school-age children and adolescents. The rest are from the WHO Child Growth Standards (2006) for children aged between zero and 60 months or the WHO Growth References (2007) for school-aged children and adolescents.

To answer your question directly ... We can use W/A above ten years (< 120 months = < 12 years) using the WHO reference / standard. We can use H/A above 5 years (< 228 months < 19 years) using the WHO reference / standard. Note that other references / standards are available and these may have different age ranges. The 2000 CDC references (e.g) have W/A, H/A, and BMI/A to 20 years.

I hope this is some use.

Mark Myatt
Technical Expert

Answered:

2 years ago
Please login to post an answer:
Login