In the SMART surveys I have seen so far, there is no exact definiton or explanation on what measles vaccination coverage means. Rather you get this "Children aged 9 - 59 months received measles vaccine" and the the percentage coverage.

I am a bit confused and new to this. Does this mean percentage of Children aged 9 - 59 months that received at least first dose of vaccine before or by their second birthday ? ( reference?)

I tried to look up the proper definition in sphere book (2011 and 2018 editions) with no luck.

Please anyone with link to where this was properly defined ( as used in most SMART surveys in humanitarian settings) should help me out.

Thanks

Hi,

Many thanks for your question. The definition of measles vaccination coverage is given by WHO and most of the organizations implementing SMART surveys refered to this definition (below):

Measles immunization coverage rate (MCV1)

Definition:

The percentage of children under one year of age who have received at least one dose of measles-containing vaccine in a given year. For countries recommending the first dose of measles vaccine in children over 12 months of age, the indicator is calculated as the proportion of children less than 12-23 months of age receiving one dose of measles-containing vaccine

Measurment Method:

Service/facility reporting system ("administrative data"): Reports of vaccinations performed by service providers (e.g. district health centers, vaccination teams, physicians) are used for estimates based on service/facility records. The estimate of immunization coverage is derived by dividing the total number of vaccinations given by the number of children in the target population, often based on census projections. Household surveys: Survey items correspond to children’s history in coverage surveys. The principle types of surveys are the Expanded Programme on Immunization (EPI) 30-cluster survey, the UNICEF Multiple Indicator Cluster Survey (MICS), and the Demographic and Health Survey (DHS). The indicator is estimated as the percentage of children aged 12–23 months who received at least one dose of measles vaccine either any time before the survey or before the age of 12 months.

Numerator:

Children under one year of age who have received at least one dose of measles-containing vaccine in a given year. For countries recommending the first dose of measles vaccine in children over 12 months of age, the number of children less than 12-23 months

Denominator

The total number of individuals in the target group for each vaccine. For vaccines in the infant immunization schedule, this would be the total number of infants surviving to age one.

Source: Measles immunization coverage rate (MCV1) | EMRO Regional Health Observatory (who.int)

Justin Maliro Kabuyaya

Answered:

3 years ago
Please login to post an answer:
Login