Hi - this is the scenario- a refugee camp in the desert where 25% of the population have chronic malnutrition. Dry rations are distributed to everyone. there is very little fruit and veg. A project is being proposed which will transport in (costing about 700k EUR for 3 months) enough fruit and veg for 125,000 people over the summer months to give 1kg per person per month. Im not a nutritionist but I just did a very crude calculation of weighing 5 pieces of fruit (the recommended daily amount in the UK) to see how much i would need a month. That came to at least 6 kg (including skins!). So from a nutritional point of view and with an aim to improve nutritional status is 1kg realistically going to make ANY difference? Are we not better off giving micronutrient powder to the most vulnerable? is there any research on this? ANY advice welcome. Thanks

Good evening, I advise you to give micronutrients powder, it is more economical and effective in responding to deficiencies. If not, for cases of chronic malnutrition why not provide nutributter, it is rich in essential fatty acids. You will have more tangible results with these micronutrients. Thank you

Lova RALAMBOMAHAY

Answered:

6 years ago

Best option is look for local fruits. Cactus fruits or any other desert fruits.

salome Yesudas

Answered:

6 years ago

It is important to have diet diversity through fresh food items even if in small amounts. However, to meet the requirements of vulnerable groups like young children and PLW- MNP, lipid based products and fortified foods such as veg oil, ( A and D) iodized salt and fortified flour - maize or wheat. It is not either or or but combination of various strategies. You should consider food voucher based market assessment and the prices
Acceptibilty and sustainability of interventions is very crucial. So discussions with the people.

Rita Bhatia
Technical Expert

Answered:

6 years ago

JrEdTN https://www.genericpharmacydrug.com

Judi

Answered:

6 years ago
Please login to post an answer:
Login