hello good people... can someone help me with guidelines for planning a nutrition programme that addresses stunting in a district among children under 5.Examples of interventions that are likely to be successful .

Be holistic in your approach. Are you sure that a nutrition programme alone will satisfactorily address stunting? Typically nutrition interventions alone reduce the prevalence of stunting by only about a third. You'll want also to look at things like whether there are mycotoxins in the diet as well as at the situation regarding sanitation and hygiene. Child-rearing practices may also need attention...perhaps requiring interventions aimed at changing behaviour.

Bill Kinsey

Answered:

7 years ago

Hello good people,prevention of stunting has to be in cooperated with WASH interventions,because you see that frequent diarrhea causes stunted growth.Nutrition and WASH interventions (issues of safe drinking water,hygiene in food preparation)

Note from the moderator: There is currently a discussion on integrating nutrition and WASH interventions on the SuSanA forum. Please follow this link for further information: http://forum.susana.org/component/kunena/272-theme-3-defining-the-gaps/19332-filling-the-gaps-in-integration#19334

Anonymous

Answered:

7 years ago

Hi Winnie
What I have been reading suggests that diarrhea is only weakly correlated with stunting...at least in rural areas, but the frequency issue certainly complicates things. Because environmental enteric dysfunction (arising from poor WASH situations and mycotoxins in the diet) is so widespread, many children's bodies simply cannot respond to a normal healthful diet. So nutrition programmes alone can solve only part of the problem.

The literature suggests that removing someone with EED from the unhealthful environment results in the eventual disappearance of the EED. This happened with American Peace Corps volunteers who contracted EED in Pakistan and recovered when they returned home. But can anyone tell me how long the recovery period is likely to be for a young child removed from the environment where they acquired EED? Since EED is seldom diagnosed and treated, this time interval is critical in shaping the severity of stunting and the subsequent consequences.

Bill Kinsey

Answered:

7 years ago
Please login to post an answer:
Login