I remember when I was at postgraduate school being taught that stunted mothers are more likely to give birth to stunted children, a well know fact also in animals. The physiological justification was that giving birth to a normal size baby would put his and his mother life at risk due to obstructed labour. However the WHO 2006 growth standards showed that all children, regardless of their country of origin and mother's status, can have very similar height-for-age patterns from day 0 (of course it was a purposive sample so we assume all children were well fed, cared for, mother had good diet and healthcare etc...). So does WHO 2006 finally prove that good nutrition and health can prevent stunting from birth?
Hi This is an interesting question. And i the answer must reflect how the growth standards are used. All children, regardless of background, have the right to grow healthily. So a generic standard for healthy growth is a good reference for comparison. Not sure if this helps?
SONYA LEJEUNE

Answered:

9 years ago
Stunted mothers have a high relative risk of having stunted children,especially when both the baby and the mother do not receive adequate nutritional supplies.Genetic stunting can not be corrected but nutritional stunting can be.Studies have also shown that most stunted mothers give birth to stunted children. http://tribune.com.pk/story/850024/lack-of-toilets-tied-to-stunted-growth-in-pakistan-unicef/
Annabel

Answered:

9 years ago
Stunted mothers have a high relative risk of having stunted children,especially when both the baby and the mother do not receive adequate nutritional supplies.Genetic stunting can not be corrected but nutritional stunting can be.Studies have also shown that most stunted mothers give birth to stunted children. http://tribune.com.pk/story/850024/lack-of-toilets-tied-to-stunted-growth-in-pakistan-unicef/
Annabel

Answered:

9 years ago
Thanks Sonya, however a I guess that a standard is useful as far as it is true. WHO found that, regardless of the country, all children had similar patterns of growth. Had they found that children have significantly different growth patterns they would have adopted different standards, like they did for boys and girls for example.
Anonymous

Answered:

9 years ago

It is true that the nutritional condition of a mother (Stunted) has a negative effect on the nutritional status ( birth weight as well body Structure) which could be also contribute the growth pastern.

How ever as far as the child get optimal care especially during the first two years it is possible to prevent and reduce the risk of stunting, that is also the principle of WHO 2006

Shishay

Answered:

8 years ago
Please login to post an answer:
Login